Friday, March 26, 2010

Mixtape 7 - 2010-03-26

Xploding Plastix - Treat Me Mean, I Need the Reputation
Amateur Girlfriends Go Proskirt Agents (2001)
Tony: Formerly a part of the Norwegian black metal scene, Jens Petter Nilsen and Hallvard Wennersberg Hagen bring a fresh perspective on acid jazz.

Wayne Shorter Quartet - Smilin' Through
Beyond The Sound Barrier (2005)
Elliot: From perhaps my favorite recording of whatever decade ended in December. It behooves you to listen to the whole album as soon as you can. Wayne Shorter on saxophones, Danilo Perez on piano, Brian Blade on drums, John Patitucci on bass.

Galactic - Cineramascope (feat. Trombone Shorty & Corey Henry)
Ya-Ka-May (2010)
Chris: Big thanks to my friend Nabil for showing me this band. Galactic is a jam band from New Orleans that incorporates funk, rock, and hip-hop. There is a huge variety of styles on this album, but nothing does it for me like catchy brass hooks over breakbeats.

Osvaldo Golijov - Second Image: Federico. Balada
Ainadamar (2006)
Sidd: I don't consider myself as someone who likes opera. But this song from Osvaldo Golijov's 2007 release is something else. This song shows the direct influences from Flamenco and Middle-Eastern music, that combined with that freaky surreal dialogue in Spanish at the end makes this song so so good.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Starla
Pisces Iscariot (1994)
Neil: I've been on a huge Pumpkins kick lately, so sorry if this song isn't interesting enough for you guys. I tried to pick one of their more obscure songs because you guys have probably heard "1979" and "Today" a million times.

No comments:

Post a Comment